Wow...two posts in one day. Either I'm ridiculously bored, or this weather really sucks.
Anywho...I recently perused the new Johnny Cash Remixed release, and I was appalled, to say the very least. Who in the blue HELL would want to butcher the Man in Black's best recordings? Might I also add: Who in Pete's sake is gonna want to buy this sh*t-shingle of a CD?
I listened to the opening track, a remix of "I Walk the Line", featuring...yep, Snoop Dogg. I'm not taking anything away from Snoop D-O-Double G...as a matter of fact, I love hip-hop music. However, hearing Johnny Cash's lyrics set to a West-Coast rap beat isn't the best combination. I also managed to sit through "Straight A's in Love (Troublemaker Remix), although it wasn't easy. It's not even music, it's a bunch of noise that at times will make you wonder if your CD player is skipping. Possibly the best (and I use that term VERY loosely) track on the whole thing is "Folsom Prison Blues", remixed by Pete Rock.
If Johnny Cash were to hear this CD, he'd probably turn over in his grave. Just listening to it makes ME want to crawl in there with him.
I love Johnny Cash's music. I love techno, dance, and hip-hop music as well. I just don't think the two should have ever crossed paths. Shame on you, Compadre Records.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Johnny Cash REMIXED?
Labels:
country,
dance,
hip-hop,
johnny cash,
music,
pete rock,
philip steir,
remixed,
snoop dogg,
techno,
troublemaker
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment