Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII: The Aftermath

I said earlier this week that this game was gonna be good. Well, it completely SHATTERED "good" on its' way to (as Tony the Tiger would say) GRRR-EAT!

The Cardinals and the Steelers took the field in Tampa, and gave us not only a football game, but a show. Complete with a few momentum-changing penalties here and there and some high-drama turnovers, this one went to the wire. And it ended with the Pittsburgh Steelers doing what no team has ever done before: earning the six-pack.

And boy, did they earn it.

The first half was basically all Pittsburgh. After a forgettable first half, Steelers linebacker James Harrison took a 100-yard interception to the house with about .00009 seconds to go before halftime, putting the Steelers up 17-7 and pretty much guaranteeing that the second half would be more of the same. Boy, was I wrong.

Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who was pretty much shut down the majority of the game, caught a floater in mid-air for a TD, then took another one to the house and put the Cards on top for the first time in the game, both of which happened in the 4th quarter . And with about 2 minutes to play and Arizona holding on to a slim lead, I really did think it was going to go the other way.

Leave it to Santonio Holmes, the versatile, playmaking Steelers WR and the game's MVP, to change that. The touchdown catch gave Pittsburgh the lead back, and when Cards QB Kurt Warner coughed the ball up with seconds to play, I'm almost certain that's when the celebrations began in the Steel City. Watching Mike Tomlin's postgame speech actually gave me goosebumps.

I have to hand it to the Steelers. I also have to hand it to Arizona, who NOBODY thought would make it this far. They may have lost the game, but by giving the Steelers all they could handle and then some...they won my respect. Hats off to both teams for playing an unforgettable Super Bowl.

In closing...don't get TOO cocky, Pittsburgh. It might be awhile before you bring in "Lucky 7".

Oh yeah...before I forget, I want you, the reader, to tell me which commercial YOU think sucked the most? My vote goes to that CareerBuilder.com commercial with the guy in the blue Speedos. I'm gonna have nightmares now.

No comments:

Post a Comment